March 14, 2010

Happy Pi Day!

Wishing all you fellow Pi fans a happy Pi Day 2010! (see Google's tribute at right) Pi was the first irrational number I met in my mathematical life, and has proven to be a faithful friend and extremely useful. At those times when, try as I may, I cannot maintain a rational mood or worldview, my friend Pi reminds me that rationality is not a prerequisite for success in our beautifully mathematical world. Sometimes one has to walk on the wild side of irrationality to fully describe the circle of life in which we find ourselves. We do not have a perfect circle without the irrationality of my friend Pi. We need to embrace the irrationality in our lives that make us perfectly rounded (if that is not too corny to say). Here's to irrationality! Here's to my friend Pi.

No comments:

Post a Comment