February 11, 2014

words - beautiful and perfect

The Book ThiefThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"The Book Thief" is one of the most beautifully written stories I've ever read. Of the multitude of great books I've read, only a few merit reading and savoring every single word, every pause, every punctuation mark. This is one such book. Ironically, given the theme of the story, I don't have the words to describe the beauty of this story, and the meticulous care and love with which it was written. That such a horrible time in western history could be brought to life in such a beautiful manner fills me with awe. I feel that I have lived through both the happiness and the horrors of this place and time. Needless to say, the story is very moving emotionally, especially at the end. But from start to finish, it is filled with everything of Life, including Death, by whom the story is told. Brilliant, thoughtful, deep, and beautiful. Liesel would be very fond of the words that make this story so beautiful and perfect.

ps. love the The Book Thief Glossary

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment