January 12, 2019

once again burned

The Sound and the FuryThe Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Here I am, once again burned by reading a book included on "must-read" lists! I am a reader, not an author or a writer. I do not know or understand the various goals and objectives of writers and authors, particularly those of critical acclaim such as Mr. Faulkner. Being a reader who is not a literary scholar or critic, when i read a book, particularly a novel, i am seeking a compelling and well told story. In my opinion, Mr. Faulkner delivers neither in "The Sound and the Fury". The narrative method he uses is confusing and difficult to follow, much less understand. With the help of some comments found on various internet reviews, i was able to struggle my way through this tale. Upon finishing the book, i look back seeing a story that could have been both compelling and deeply interesting if it had only been made accessible to the reader. Instead this is a book studied by literary scholars, searching for the meaning hidden inside like some cruel riddle or trick played on the reader. I am not impressed with this book, and if Faulkner's other books are written in a similar way, i have no interest reading any more. :(

View all my reviews

Goodreads not too hip on their recommendations


No comments:

Post a Comment