August 9, 2021

well written and heartfelt story

The OutsidersThe Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I guess everyone in the world has read this story except me. I believe it was assigned reading for both my kids in school, as it was for my wife. Anyway, i ran across a copy used and decided to read it. This is a very well written and heartfelt story of gang life in the 60's written from the perspective of a 14 year old gang member. The depth and perspective portrayed in this first person narrative is amazing, especially considering that the author was 16 when writing it. I was going to give it 4 stars, but it made me tear up the end so i splurged and gave it 5 stars. This is probably a must read. And now i am in search of the Francis Ford Coppola film with the all-star cast, based on the book. I recommend this one. Through parts of it, i kept hearing Springsteen's "Meeting Across the River", and "Jungleland" (side 2 of Born to Run) play in my head. Would be the perfect soundtrack for it.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment