February 27, 2009

Greater Things

Marriage at Cana by Giotto

Immediately preceding chapter 2, John tells us how Jesus had told Nathanael:
50) Jesus said, "You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You shall see greater things than that."
I wonder if Nathanael had any idea what Jesus had in mind when he said "greater things".

John goes on to describe in chapter 2 the story of Jesus turning the water into wine at the wedding feast in Cana. John describes this transformation in John 2:11 as the first of Jesus' miraculous signs.

Lately, I've been hearing the phrase "greater things" over and over. The lyrics of Chris Tomlin's (fantastic) song "God of This City" declare:
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this City
After being laid off from my job of nearly 15 years, I've been assured by friends praying for me that greater things are in store. As my church prepares to move into a new, much larger building, we have claimed greater things for the mission of ministry into which God has called us.

"Greater things" sounds great. For my city, I envision better relationships between all the very different people living in our community. For my job, I envision a pay increase, or a position that is better suited to my calling and passion for work. For my church, I envision reaching hundreds more people with the message of God's Love and Grace. I'm not sure what Nathanael envisioned when he heard Jesus promise "greater things". Maybe hope for some relief from Roman taxes and oppression? Maybe a promise of more freedom to worship God instead of bowing to Caesar? Who knows? It doesn't say.

There is no question, those things would have been greater. But I suspect Nathanael wasn't expecting the miracle, the sign from God, that Jesus performed at the wedding. At that wedding party in Cana, Jesus took "greater things" to a "Whole Nutha Level ". Which leads me to wonder... are my expectations for "greater things" measured on my limited scale of "greater", or am I using God's scale?

"Lord, open my eyes, to envision 'greater things' on Your scale, not mine."

No comments:

Post a Comment