August 19, 2012

finally finished Les Misérables!!!

Les MisérablesLes Misérables by Victor Hugo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I finally finished Les Misérables, all 1463 pages of it! Wow, what a story! After having seen the Liam Neeson movie, and falling in love with the story, this unabridged version added so much depth and richness to the story. It was exciting to read the "back story" of so many of the characters I already (thought I) knew, and to meet other characters that were left out of that movie. This must be one of the most classic stories ever written. I especially enjoyed the additional depth of understanding obtained from the MANY discussions of history, politics, customs, philosophy, religion, etc. I fully understand why abridged versions of this story exist, the story itself is a subset of the rich contents of this volume. I loved this book, it is one of the best I've ever read. I wish that I had time to read it again... maybe someday. I'm especially glad that I read this before the upcoming movie release of the Broadway version of this story. I am excited to see the upcoming movie from the perspective of having read this classic work in it's entirety. Six stars to this book. Wonderful story.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Oh my ... I am sooooo behind in reading this it really isn't worth mentioning. I was sidetracked, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete