August 1, 2015

The Speed of Dark

The Speed of DarkThe Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book. It is fiction, set in the near future, when an experimental cure for Autism is found. The book is mainly from the point of view of an independent young adult with Autism. I especially enjoyed his viewpoints and following along in his thought processes as he experiences his life. I also enjoyed his "commentary" on how he perceived so-called "normal" people and his experiences with them, and his personal deliberation as to whether it is better to become normal, or to remain himself with Autism. The question of how much of himself is a result of having Autism and experiencing the world from that perspective is presented, and the risk of losing that part of himself if he decides to pursue treatment and cure. The ending is not what i expected or hoped for, but as it is, leaves me asking even more questions, about why it ended the way it did. This is a great book for contemplation and discussion, which further expands my perspective on the lives of folks with "disabilities", specifically Autism. I recommend this story!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment