November 22, 2017

helpful perspective

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read this book because it was on my bookshelf and it appears on several "must-read" lists i have. This is a cool story that offers insight into pre-modern African culture, and also some perspective on how western influences of the 20th century affected their society. It is sad to read yet another story of the western white man coming in with supposedly superior religion and culture and imposing it on the native peoples in the name of progress and "salvation". The characters are especially interesting in that we see how very much alike they are to us "moderns", even though on the surface they seem so different. I'm glad i read this, but i feel that much of its acclaim probably has as much to do with when it was written as with its content. I see that it may have influenced Barbara Kingsolver in her The Poisonwood Bible, which is a much better book, IMO.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment