August 25, 2013

The Poisonwood Bible

The Poisonwood BibleThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is an amazing story that takes my breath away as I finish its final pages. I'm awestruck by the last 2 chapters. Wonderfully written, this story shares a wide range of depth and perspectives of life of an American missionary family in Africa (specifically the Congo circa 1960). The story is told, with creativity and thoughtfulness, from the respective viewpoints of all the main, female characters. This approach yields many perspectives on the events recorded. I loved this book. It is not perfect, but is darned close. I recommend it to all, a wonderful tale, laden with real Truth.
"When I want to take God at his word exactly, I take a peek out of the window at His Creation. Because that, darling, He makes fresh for us every day, without a lot of dubious middle managers."

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment