November 11, 2018

candid and informative memoir

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in CrisisHillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Not only is "Hillbilly Elegy" by @JDVance1 an inspiring, thought provoking, and challenging memoir, but it offers valuable data and insight into the culture around which i grew up in my immediate and extended family, and neighbors and schoolmates in the Missouri Ozarks. It helps me understand some of my family culture and dynamics, as well as inform my life history as i look back on it. Some very solid solutions are offered, though how to apply them may be problematic given that message of this book probably will not reach the majority of the culture described. In addition, i'm left wanting more answers as to what is the root cause of the Hillbilly culture described. I have seen it first hand and experienced it, but am left wondering how it came to be in the beginning. I'll be searching for additional reading to try to answer my questions. Thank you Mr. Vance for this candid and informative memoir.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment