March 6, 2022

rich yet dark, too coded and obscure

BelovedBeloved by Toni Morrison
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Reading "Beloved" seemed so familiar, and then it dawned on me that the story telling and themes are very much like Faulkner (see my review of "The Sound and the Fury")
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26197314-the-sound-and-the-fury

But alas, I am apparently missing the requisite skills and/or knowledge to read tales like this. "Beloved" is a rich yet dark story, but the telling of it is too coded and obscure for a reader of my experience or knowledge to fully unpack. I can however see that it is clearly of the same genre and stature as Faulkner, which speaks highly of it among literary scholars but doesn't do much for me the average reader. Again, i am left wishing that the narrative and meaning of the story was more accessible so that i could experience it in full.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment