October 11, 2009

excellent book!

Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and WhyMisquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D. Ehrman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This past week, I read UNC Professor Bart Ehrman's book entitled "Misquoting Jesus". It is an excellent book! It is not the attack on faith and scripture that I was expecting. Rather, it is a scholarly, yet accessible, work on how our scriptures came to us! I find my faith and understanding of the scriptures strengthened, not shaken! I now have a better understanding of the alternate versions of the text which appear in the footnotes of my study bibles. I have also gained a deep respect for the hundreds of people over the course of history who have dedicated their lives to finding the text of the original manuscripts, helping to bring us closer to the them, and to the authors who penned them. The investigative process that Dr. Ehrman and others use is fascinating, and I'm encouraged that this work has been and is taken very seriously. I recommend this book to anyone seeking a better understanding of the processes through which the Bible has come to us.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment