October 7, 2013

a story told too soon

The Fallon Blood (Fallon, #1)The Fallon Blood by Robert Jordan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Robert Jordan's 14 volume Wheel of Time series is one of my favorite stories ever. I've read "The Eye of the World" four times, and books 2-4 twice. I love the story, the characters, and especially the way it was told. The characters and the world are so 3D and real.

Which is one reason i picked up the Fallon trilogy to read. That and the fact that it is based in Charleston, where my kids live. Sadly, "The Fallon Blood" was a disappointment (it hurts to say it). The story concept, including the characters and setting, is very promising. But the story is not told well at all. It is somewhat random and flat (SO different than The Wheel of Time!) Jordan's writing style and technique improved greatly in the 10 years between writing this story and writing his classic "The Eye of the World".

I read this first book of the trilogy because i love Robert Jordan, but i probably will not finish this trilogy. It was a great story idea published a little too early in the career of RJ, before he was ready to tell it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment