July 21, 2016

oops

The Red PonyThe Red Pony by John Steinbeck
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

One of the three stars i gave this book is in honor of John Steinbeck, who remains one of my favorite authors. The other two are for the book itself. This is the least enjoyable book (by a decent margin) of all Steinbeck's works that I've read. It felt disjointed (as if published in installments with plot gaps in between), and I could not discern the point of the story. My wife gave me some hints partially through and I still missed the point. Given that Steinbeck was a master and a powerful writer, I'm inclined to believe that my (lack of) impression of this story is my lacking and not his. That being said, this is my least favorite, and I would not recommend this as a sample of the wonderful Steinbeck canon that I've read. Everyone has an "oops" i guess. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment