December 18, 2016

more frightening and sobering than ever

Animal FarmAnimal Farm by George Orwell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As we approach the changing of the guard in the US, and the new and very disturbing Trump administration, i thought i'd take some of my reading time to revisit some classic dystopian tales from my early years. I have not read Animal Farm since i was in high school, over 40 years ago. Reading it today is more chilling than ever. Looking back on my life, and the events of the past 40+ years, it is quite easy to see that we in the US have not escaped the fate that the prophecy of Animal Farm portrays. Rather, we are settling comfortably into it, as dull witted to it as the "lower animals" were in this brilliant story. And as we move into 2017, it is clear that the pigs at the top are much more equal than the rest of us. A classic, prophetic, brilliant tale, more frightening and sobering than ever before. Now to get my hands on a copy of Nineteen Eighty-Four, another on my high school reading list.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment