June 17, 2017

a great musically oriented techie book

Analog Days: The Invention and Impact of the Moog SynthesizerAnalog Days: The Invention and Impact of the Moog Synthesizer by Trevor Pinch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My daughter recently attended Moogfest and chatting with her sparked an interest in learning more about Robert Moog and his synthesizer. I love music and am an electrical engineer by training, so my interest is both musical and technical. This is a great overview and history of not only Moog and his company's devices, but also other analog music devices leading up to and following the hay days of Moog modular and Minimoog synthesizers. I enjoyed the story and the facts, and the especially the account of the interplay between musicians, engineers, and sales people in the development of these devices. I also found very interesting the popular and famous artists who used the various synthesizers in their recorded and performance music. This is a great read for a musically oriented techie like me. I highly recommend it!

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment