August 16, 2014

The Soul of a New Machine

The Soul of a New MachineThe Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Soul of a New Machine is an extremely interesting story to someone like me who has been working with computers for over 30 years. Presented within it is much detail regarding the people and processes that make up the engineering and design process involved in the Data General Eclipse MV/8000. Much of it felt familiar as i recall my 15 years spent in IC Engineering, followed by 15 years in IT in support of Engineering processes. Even having lived though some of this story myself, i found the account fascinating and affirming in that my experience was representative of the engineering process in general. This narrative does not flow as smoothly and seamlessly as i expected, but i'm not going to argue with the Pulitzer Prize committee :) It is a great story and I'm thankful to Mr. Kidder for telling it. It had to have been a significant task to capture and report this story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment